Friday, December 5, 2008

Christmas in the air

With the snow on the ground already it sure puts one in the mood for that Christmas music! I have been playing it since the week of Thanksgiving. My dear husband is not fond of me doing that so I usually refrain from playing it around him until after Thanksgiving. Once in a while we will get in the van and he will start it up and out of the speakers will come the loud sounds of Christmas.... that is when I quickly turn the volume off and say "sorry honey" and the girls giggle in the back seat;)

This year I was determined to start our Advent on time! I made sure I had all the books, baskets and needed items out to get the Christmas season started right. I am pleased to say that for the first time since we have had kids I have started the Advent season right on time! We kicked off the first Sunday of Advent with our wonderful story and song. Then we read the scriptures for that day and hung the ornament on our small Advent tree. We put our names in a hat and picked out who we are to be "extra nice" to this month, and we all got busy doing special things for one another. You see we have some wonderful traditions we do every December to help build the anticipation of Christs coming. it is a joy to see the kids faces light up when someone puts another piece of manger hey into Jesus bed, because they know that means someone has done a kind deed for someone else, they also know that it provides the soft place for Jesus to lay his head on Christmas morning when we reveal who had who's name and Little Rebekah gets to lay Jesus gently into the manger we filled with hay.

We also have a nativity that gets put together piece by piece throughout December. We start telling to story of the long journey to Bethlehem that Joseph and Mary had, and we continue throughout December putting one piece of nativity in every day until Christmas morning when Jesus is born to us...and we reveal the glories of His coming.

We thank God for His love for us, and we thank God for His reason for coming. We have many traditions in our family, but I find the traditions of Christmas to be my favorite. I am thankful that God has given me these traditions to share with my children, and feel blessed to have started them on time this year;)

What are your Christ centered traditions in your family at Christmas time......and throughout the year?

1 comment:

Asil said...

OK, me first!

We like to sing Christmas carols before bed with the kids. They love it, and are sure to remind us when it's time to sing. We usually let 2 or 3 kids pick a carol (otherwise we'd be singing for hours!) and end with a resounding rendition of "The 12 Days of Christmas".

No one will mistake us for the Trapp Family Singers, but we have a great time, and enjoy celebrating our Savior's birth this way.

Who's next?

Lisa